Monday, July 28, 2014

Honey + Figs = Fig Preserves! Yumm....

We moved into our house about 12 years ago and one of the nice surprises was that we have a very old fig tree growing by the side of our house.  This tree must be at least 40 years old or more since they grow very slowly.


Over the years I've figured out when to harvest the figs from this tree so that I can beat the birds and squirrels to them.  This year we had a great harvest and the figs were amazing.  Since I just finished bottling my honey and there was no way we could eat so many figs before they spoiled, I decided to use the fresh honey to make fig preserves this year.  It's the first time I've made preserves so wasn't sure how they would turn out.  Well to make a long story short, they turned out awesome!


I only had enough figs to make three jars but its amazing!  I will definitely be doing this again next year.  Fig preserves on a cracker with goat cheese and some red wine......Fabulous!!











3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?! You've had figs all this time and I had no clue. I love eating about 3 of them whole with a handful of nuts for a pre-workout snack right when I wake up. Your mini spread with goat cheese and red wine sounds fabulous right about now too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been harvesting them for the last few years and have to really keep an eye on the tree so I can get to them before they are discovered by all the wildlife. I'm always in competition with the birds and squirrels and now I've seen rabbits sitting under the tree eating the ones that are on the ground or close to the ground. Arrrgh!

      Delete
    2. Gotcha! We buy them by the bagful at Costco (the dried unsulphured ones) so I am jealous. :)

      Delete