Monday, August 4, 2014

A nice cool front to get the fall garden going

The last couple days we've had some major thunderstorms which have brought a bit of a cool front in (if you can call 80 degrees cool).  Its helping me get in the mood to start my fall garden.  I had planned to start a little earlier but the heat was too unbearable to spend any time outside other than sitting in the pool.
Yesterday I found a huge wasp nest under the eaves of the house where some screening had been torn.  I went after it with 3 cans of wasp spray.  I was trying to use the Spectracide wasp spray which said on the can that it would go up to 27 feet.  I stood not more than 6 feet from the nest.  The first can didn't have much in it and ran out but got a lot of the nest although it definitely could not spray very far, the second can spray nozzle leaked all over my hands while I was trying to use it and the third can barely sprayed out at most 3 feet when the wind caught it and blew the spray back into my face.  Arrrrgh!  There is no way this stuff could go 27 feet!  Oh well....decided to pass the task on to my husband and informed him that he should consider buying some other brand so that it hopefully will spray further.  He went after it this past weekend and there's been a noticeable difference in the amount of wasps attacking the caterpillars now.  I guess we got the offending nest. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment