Saturday, April 26, 2014

The good news and bad news in urban farming

The bad news.... the bee hive that was exposed from the storm has left the branch.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to find someone to cut down the branch soon enough to harvest the hive.  :(    They hung around for about 3 days then disappeared.  I'm hopeful that they found another tree to live in and didn't just die.   Also when I looked under the sheet where I had covered the limb on the ground it was full of wax moth larvae.   Yuck!!!  If you haven't see wax moth larvae just think of what maggots look like and triple the size.  Wax moths can destroy a hive in record time and they are disgusting.

The good news....The chickens had a feast feeding on the wax moth larvae.

The bad news....Lucy chicken is not getting any better.  She now barely walks at all and I think I'm going to have to be brave and put her down.  Extreme sadness for me....she is such a sweet chicken.  This has to be the part of owning animals that sometimes makes me think that it's just not worth it.  The pain when they die, no matter how, always hurts so bad.  You'd think with as many chickens as I've had that this wouldn't affect me much but it always does.

The good news....well all thats good about this is that Lucy will not longer be in pain anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment