Sunday, March 16, 2014

Brrrr....What happened to spring!



Brrr... a cold front came through today.   I'm glad I didn't take down the tarps.   In the winter I cover the chicken coop in tarps and have a couple heat lamps in the coop to keep the girls warm during cold weather.   I take a couple of the tarps down when it's  nice outside and shut off the heat lamps but today I had to put them back up again. The girls (ok, and one boy) seem to be getting along better since they were all on the floor of the coop when I went to let them out.  When I put the four new chickens into the coop about a month ago or so, I would always find all the young new chickens on top of the storage shed hen house while Marilyn and Peeper kept the rest of the coop as their territory, basically keeping them from all the food and water.    
As I mentioned before, my coop is one of the covered horse stalls which are wood with open sides.  It’s about 20’ x 20’ with a sand floor.  We made a hen house out of a Rubbermaid storage shed and put it into the corner of the coop so the girls have somewhere to lay their eggs.   Of course Peeper likes to lay her eggs on the counter in my utility room.  Usually when I let them out of the coop for the day, Peeper makes a beeline for the back door of the house and paces back and forth until I catch up and let her into the house.  It’s the funniest thing to see a chicken on a mission.  No messing around eating grass or bugs for her;  just running straight for the back door ready to take care of business.  She then jumps up to the counter and settles in for a while.  I always know when to let her out as she starts squawking like crazy when she’s done.  She doesn’t like having to get down by herself either.  Rather waits and squawks until I come pick her up, put her down on the floor and open the door to let her out.   Someone once told me I have spoiled chickens, I can’t imagine why they would think that.  :/

No comments:

Post a Comment