Thursday, March 13, 2014

Welcome to my Houston Urban farm!

Hello, welcome to my blog about my Houston urban farm.  For years I have told stories to my friends about the crazy things that happen here and have continued to be told that I should write them down. So here goes…..I hope you enjoy!


To give you a little background, I live in the middle of the city of Houston, TX on 5 acres that back up to Buffalo Bayou.  Our neighbor has chickens and offered to give us some chicks which is what got us thinking about raising chickens.  Our house has a horse stall in the back of the lot so we converted one of the horse stalls into a chicken coop and were on our way to getting fresh eggs every day!  Here's a picture of the first set of chickens we raised.   That's our dog, Angel, and Ms. Marilyn when she was a chick on the far right.  You'll hear more about them later. 
Also, in our neighborhood there are wild peacocks (peafowl actually) roaming through it although in our part of the neighborhood there were none and my husband would lament that he wished we had peacocks.  So one day when the feed store had some peafowl chicks, I bought them and raised them by hand and in doing so we now have extremely domesticated birds.  We have two peahens and one peacock to be exact although when I bought them I had no idea what we had since I knew nothing about peafowl.  We have since learned that the brown peachicks are female and yellow are male. 
We also have Angel, our 14 year old dog, so named because that’s exactly what she is.  She is probably the most laid back dog I’ve ever had.  She’s a wonderful mutt that we think may be part German shepherd and part Rottweiler and has the sweet disposition of a Shepherd. (Of course I’ve never had a Rottweiler so really don’t know what their personalities usually are.)  All I know is she is the sweetest animal I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned A LOT).    To round things out, I also have a bee hive that is pretty fascinating to watch.  More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment